The Federal Government has provided no new funds for the Robert C. Byrd Scholarship for the upcoming year. The Byrd Scholarship is being discontinued.
To provide a competitive, academic merit scholarship to outstanding high school students in Texas.
(Warning – it appears this program will not be funded beginning with the Fall 2011 semester.)
Please refer to other possible financial aid resources at "Types of Financial Aid” link.
- Are current high school graduating seniors, persons completing GED certification, or persons completing a secondary school program in a home school setting during the award year;
- Are nominated as most academically eligible by their high school counselor, GED center director, or home school instructor;
- Are in the top 10 % of their class;and
- Are Texas residents who are U.S. citizens, U.S. Nationals, or eligible U.S. permanent residents.
- Students attending both public and private, non-profit colleges and universities may participate in the program.
- The award may be used at any eligible in-state or out-of-state institution of higher education.
- Students who will attend a U.S. Military Academy are not eligible.
The maximum award is $1,500 per year for up to four years.
The application and instructions can be viewed and downloaded. High School and GED students should contact their high school or GED center counselor for additional information. The selection of applicants is based on college entrance exam scores, GED scores, and among high school students, grade point average (Converting a grade point average to a 4.00 scale), and rank in class.
Contact the Grants & Special Programs Office at 512/427-6340 (Austin area) or 800/242-3062 (outside Austin)
- To read more about this program check out:
Title IV, Part A, Subpart 6 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, CFDA 84.185.
- Contact Us!