To allow a nonresident student who receives a qualifying competitive scholarship to enroll and pay the Texas resident tuition and fee rate at a participating public institution in the state of Texas.
To qualify for this waiver program, the applicant must:
- Be a nonresident student who is receiving a competitive scholarship of at least $1,000 (multiple scholarships cannot be combined to meet this minimum; the individual scholarship must be $1,000 or higher)
- Have competed with other students, including Texas residents, for the competitive scholarship award
- Have filed a selective service statement of registration status and proof of status with their institution
All public institutions in the state of Texas may participate.
Eligible students will pay the Texas resident tuition and fee rate during the semester or term covered by the competitive scholarship, not to exceed a 12-month period.
- This waiver program is only for courses in which the institution receives formula funding (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its costs).
- A waiver may be granted any year in which the student meets the competitive scholarship award requirements.
- Student can receive the waiver while attempting any program of study offered at a participating institution.
Contact your institution if you are interested in this waiver program. See the Office of the Registrar, the Admissions Office, or the Student Financial Aid Office.
- Your institution will determine the documentation you must submit to confirm proof of eligibility for this exemption.
Contact your Texas public college or university if you have questions.
Program statute-Code, Title 3, Section 54.213
- Clarifying rules-Coordinating Board Rule, Chapter 21, Subchapter SS Section 21.223
- Contact Us!