To provide grant aid to financially needy students to enable them to attend private, non-profit colleges or universities in Texas.
- Are Texas residents or are non-resident National Merit Finalists;
- Show financial need;
- Are enrolled in an eligible institution in Texas in a degree plan leading to a first associate's, baccalaureate, master's or doctoral degree;
- If awarded their first TEG prior to 9/1/2005, meet the academic progress requirements of their institution;
- If awarded their first TEG on or after 9/1/2005, earn and maintain an overall college GPA of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and complete at least 24 credit hours per year (18 credit hours per year if a graduate student);
- Enroll on at least
- a 1/2 time basis if awarded first-ever TEG prior to 09/01/2005 OR
- a 3/4 basis if awarded first-ever TEG on or after 09/01/2005
- Are not receiving athletic scholarships;
- Are required to pay more tuition than they would pay to attend a public institution; and
- Register for the Selective Service or are exempt from this requirement.
Only private, non-profit Texas colleges or universities may participate in the program.
For the 2014-15 academic year, the program maximum is $3,250. However, undergraduate students with exceptional need (those whose Expected Family Contributions are less than or equal to $1,000) may receive awards of up to $4,875. Awards may not exceed the student's financial need or the amount of tuition the student is paying in excess of what he or she would pay at a public institution.
For the 2015-2016 academic year, the program maximum is $3,364 per school year; up to $5,046 for students having exceptional need.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The financial aid office at the college or university will notify you if you are eligible.
Your eligibility for this program is determined by the financial aid office at your college. Funds may not be immediately available to you at the beginning of the semester. Contact your college financial aid office for additional information on eligibility of availability of funds.
- To read more about this program check out:
- Contact Us!