To provide an exemption from the payment of tuition to certain members of the Texas National Guard, Texas Air Guard, or the State Guard.
- Are Texas residents;
- Register for the Selective Service or are exempt from this requirement; and
- Are active, drilling members of the Texas National Guard, Texas Air Guard or the State Guard, and
- Are undergraduate or graduate students.
- Only in-state (Texas) colleges or universities may participate in the program.
- Both public and private, non-profit colleges or universities may participate in the program (no career colleges or universities).
New Requirements Fall, 2014
Senate Bill 1210 (83rd Texas Legislature, Regular Session) adds a Grade Point Average requirement for persons to receive continuation awards through the program. The Bill also establishes a Limit to the Total Number of Hours, cumulative, that a student may take and continue to receive awards through this program. These changes go into effect in fall, 2014. Contact your institution for more information.
Individual awards at public colleges or universities are for the student’s tuition charges (based on the resident rate), for up to 12 semester credit hours (undergraduate level) in a semester. If the student takes more than 12 hours, a source other than this program must be used to pay for the additional hours. If the student attends a private, non-profit institution, his/her award is based on public university tuition charges for 12 semester credit hours at the resident rate.
The student should contact the unit commander of his/her National Guard, Air Guard or State Guard unit or the Education Officer, State Adjutant General’s Office, PO Box 5218/AGTX-PAE, Austin TX 78763-5218 or at 512-782-5515 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Education Office will provide instructions.