Military: Member, Spouse or Child who Remains Continuously Enrolled in Higher Education in Texas

Program Purpose

To provide a waiver of nonresident tuition for members of the U.S. Armed Forces or commissioned officers in the U.S. Public Health Service, their spouse or child. (Effective for students enrolled in Fall 2003)

Eligibility Requirements

  • Individuals who are or were members of the U.S. Armed Forces or commissioned officers of the U.S. Public Health Service and/or the spouse or child of such persons;
  • Were eligible to pay tuition at the resident rate while enrolled in a degree or certificate program at a Texas public college or university in Spring 2003 or Summer 2003 (or any semester thereafter); and
  • Remain continuously enrolled (fall/spring) in the same degree or certificate program in subsequent terms or semesters.

Individuals are not required to enroll in a summer term to meet the "continuous enrollment" requirement.

The student's eligibility to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for Texas students does not terminate because the person, spouse or parent is no longer a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or commissioned Officer of the U.S. Public Health Service.

Eligible Institutions

Texas public colleges and universities.

Award Amount

This program permits nonresident students to pay tuition and fees at the resident rate.

Application Process

The Office of the Registrar at each college normally processes waivers. If they do not process waivers, they should be able to refer you to the proper office on campus.

Additional Information

Copyright © 2021 Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. All Rights Reserved

Site Policies | Site Map | Contact



Generation Texas

I am strong. I am independent. I am ready for my career. I support my family. I want to go to college. I am a leader of tomorrow. I am Generation TX. Learn more at


Apply Texas

I am ready to start my college journey, now what? ApplyTexas is a one-stop shop for applying to a public university or community college in Texas. Start now at You can find information about funding your education here: College for All Texans Funding Your Education.