Military: Survivors

Program Purpose

To provide a waiver of nonresident tuition to the spouse and/or children of non-Texas members of the U.S. Armed Forces and Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service who died or were killed while in service if the spouse or child becomes a Texas resident.

Eligibility Requirements

Individuals who are the spouse or children of non-Texas members of the U.S. Armed Forces or Public Health Service who died or were killed while in service. To qualify, the spouse or child must move to Texas within 60 days of the date of the death of the service member. (The parent is not required to relocate to Texas WITH the child for the child to qualify for the waiver.)

Eligible Institutions

Limited to Texas public colleges and universities.

Award Amount

This program permits nonresident students to pay tuition and fees at the resident rate.

Application Process

The Office of the Registrar at each college normally processes waivers. If they do not process waivers, they should be able to refer you to the proper office on campus.

Additional Information

  • Generally, student eligibility for a waiver must be established prior to or at the time of enrollment. Contact your college for additional information.

  • To read more about this program check out:

    Texas Education Code 54.241(f) 

  • Contact Us!

Copyright © 2018 Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. All Rights Reserved

Site Policies | Site Map | Contact



Generation Texas

I am strong. I am independent. I am ready for my career. I support my family. I want to go to college. I am a leader of tomorrow. I am Generation TX. Learn more at


College Compare Texas

There are so many colleges, how do I know which is best fit for me? Compare colleges side-by-side on key measures such as tuition & fees, completion rates, and average salaries after college. Start exploring now at


Apply Texas

I am ready to start my college journey, now what? ApplyTexas is a one-stop shop for applying to a public university or community college in Texas. Start now at Need more information? Still have questions? We're here to help guide you through the financial aid process. Give us a call at 1-888-311-8881.