To provide grant aid to financially needy students enrolled in Texas public two-year colleges.
- Are Texas residents;
- Show financial need (first-time award, recipients must have 9-month EFC of no more than $2,000);
- Are registered for the Selective Service or are exempt from this requirement;
- Are enrolled at least 1/2 time (6 semester credit hours) in the first 30 hours (or their equivalent) in an associate's degree or certificate program at a public two-year college in Texas;
- Have not been granted an associate's or a baccalaureate degree;
- Are not concurrently receiving a TEXAS Grant; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance.*
Students who continue in college and who meet program academic standards can receive awards for up to 75 semester credit hours, for four years, or until they receive an associate's degree, whichever comes first. The academic requirements for continuing in the program are: At the end of the first year, the student must meet the school's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. At the end of the second year, the student must complete at least 75 percent of the hours attempted in the prior academic year and have an overall college grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
*An individual convicted of a crime involving a controlled substance can compete for an award in this program two years after he/she has fulfilled his/her obligation to society.
Use is limited to public community colleges, public technical colleges, or public state colleges in Texas. Public State Colleges include: Lamar State College at Orange; Lamar State College at Port Arthur, and Lamar Institute of Technology.
The maximum award amount for 2013-2014 is
- $7,700 per year for public state college students
- $2,640 per year for public community college students
- $4,440 per year for public technical college students
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The financial aid office at the college or university the student applied to will notify the student if he/she is eligible.
Your eligibility for this program is determined by the financial aid office at your college. Contact your college financial aid office for additional information on eligibility or availability of funds.
- To read more about this program check out:
- Contact Us!