Military: Spouse and Dependents Who Previously Lived in Texas

Program Purpose

To provide a waiver of nonresident tuition for the spouse and/or dependent child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States (including the Public Health Service), who is not currently assigned to duty in Texas.

NOTE: This webpage is intended to provide basic information for the public by highlighting requirements that appear in the Texas Education Code (TEC) and Texas Administrative Code (TAC). When reviewing eligibility requirements this exemption program, you should always refer to the relevant statutes and rules. The information on this webpage is to be used solely as a resource and does not override the statute or rules for this exemption program. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, legal advice.

Eligibility Requirements

Individuals who are the spouse or dependent children of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is not currently assigned to duty in Texas but has previously resided in Texas for at least a six-month period.

For the spouse or dependent children to qualify, the service member must, at least one year preceding the first day of the term or semester for which the spouse or child enrolls,

  • have filed proper documentation with the military or Public Health Service to change his/her permanent residence to Texas and designated Texas as his/her place of legal residence for income tax purposes;
  • have registered to vote in Texas; and
  • be able to show that one of the following three things has been in effect for the full 12 months prior to the first day of the relevant term or semester:
    • ownership of real estate in Texas with no delinquent property taxes;
    • registration of an automobile in Texas, or
    • execution of a currently-valid will that indicates he/she is a resident of Texas that has been deposited with a county clerk in Texas.

Eligible Institutions

Limited to Texas public college and universities.

Award Amount

This program permits nonresident students to pay tuition and fees at the resident rate.

Application Process

The process for applying for a tuition waiver varies from college to college. Normally, the office of the registrar processes tuition waivers. However, waivers may also be processed by the admissions office and/or financial aid. The student must be able to provide the college or university with proof that he/she meets the program eligibility requirements.

Additional Information

  • Generally, student eligibility for a waiver must be established prior to or at the time of enrollment. Contact your college for additional information.

  • To read more about this program check out:

    Texas Education Code 54.241(d) 

  • Contact Us!

Copyright © 2024 Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. All Rights Reserved

Site Policies | Site Map | Contact


Apply Texas

I am ready to start my college journey, now what? ApplyTexas is a one-stop shop for applying to a public university or community college in Texas. Start now at Help us understand how applicants can be better supported throughout the application process by taking this survey. You can find information about funding your education here: College for All Texans Funding Your Education.