Children of Disabled or Deceased Firemen, Peace Officers, Game Wardens, and Employees of Correctional Institutions

Program Purpose

This exemption provides a benefit to the children of eligible public servants who have been killed in the line of duty, or who have been disabled in the line of duty. Injuries resulting in death that occurred on or after September 1, 2000 please see refer to  Surviving Spouse and/or Dependent Children of Deceased Public Servants.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Are the child of an eligible parent who suffered an injury, resulting in disability or death, sustained in the line of duty;
  • Apply before age 21 unless eligible to participate in a school district's special education program under section 29.003, age 22;
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support;
  • Eligible students must  maintain  a grade point average (GPA) that satisfies the institution's academic progress requirements; and
  • Cannot receive the exemption for  hours that are considered to be excessive under Section 54.014.  

Eligible parent suffered an injury, resulting in disability or death as a paid or volunteer fireman, paid municipal, county, or state peace officer, or a custodial employee of the Texas Department of Corrections, or a game warden .

Eligible Institutions

Available only for use at a Texas public college or university.

To access listings of Texas public colleges and universities, follow the links to Texas Public Institutions.

Award Amount

Exemption from the payment of tuition and required fees for the first 120 undergraduate semester credit hours for which a person registers or age 26, whichever comes first. No funds may be used to pay tuition for continuing education classes for which the college receives no state tax support.

Application Process

Certification letter must be submitted to either the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or Texas Public Institution of Higher Education depending of the date of injury. Provided for your reference is a sample certification letter that can be used as a guide.

  • Have parent's prior employer provide a certification letter on official letterhead;
  • For injuries that occurred prior to September 1, 2000 submit the letter to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board;
  • For injuries that occurred on or after September 1, 2000 submit the certification letter to the Registrar's office of the designated Public Institution of Higher Education;
  • In the case of a disability, also submit physicians statement certifies the disability;
  • For injuries that occurred prior to September 1, 2000 the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board will notify the college or university of the student's eligibility.

Additional Information

Copyright © 2017 Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. All Rights Reserved

Site Policies | Site Map | Contact



Generation Texas

I am strong. I am independent. I am ready for my career. I support my family. I want to go to college. I am a leader of tomorrow. I am Generation TX. Learn more at


College Compare Texas

There are so many colleges, how do I know which is best fit for me? Compare colleges side-by-side on key measures such as tuition & fees, completion rates, and average salaries after college. Start exploring now at


Apply Texas

I am ready to start my college journey, now what? ApplyTexas is a one-stop shop for applying to a public university or community college in Texas. Start now at Need more information? Still have questions? We're here to help guide you through the financial aid process. Give us a call at 1-888-311-8881.