To encourage certain Educational Aides to complete full teacher certification by providing need-based exemptions from the payment of tuition and certain mandatory fees at Texas public institutions of higher education.
- Be a Resident of Texas.
- Be registered for the Selective Service or be exempt from this requirement.
- Be employed in some capacity by a public school district in Texas during the full term for which the student receives the award unless granted a hardship.
- Show financial need.
- Have been employed by a public school district in Texas working full-time, in a classroom directly with the students, in a teaching capacity as:
- An Educational Aide for at least one school year of the past five school years preceding the term or semester for which the student is awarded their initial exemption, or
- A substitute teacher for 180 days of the past five school years preceding the term or semester for which the student is awarded their initial exemption.
- Meet satisfactory academic progress requirements established by the college or university.
- Be enrolled in courses required for teacher certification in one or more areas that the Texas Education Agency has determined to be experiencing a critical shortage of teachers at public schools in Texas in accordance with Texas Administrative Code, 21.1083 (6).
- Educational Aide Exemption 2020-21 Application (PDF)
Please contact the school district where you are employed or the Financial Aid Office at the college or university you plan to attend.
You may view the relevant Coordinating Board Rules Chapter 21, Subchapter II.
For more information on certification, visit the Texas Education Agency.
For help finding a teaching position, visit the Texas Workforce Commission website.
**Note: The schools listed under Independent Institutions do NOT qualify for Educational Aide Exemptions
- To read more about this program check out:
- Contact Us!
Complete the admissions and financial aid process at your college, including the FAFSA or TASFA. Submit your completed EAE application to Financial Aid office.