Military: Persons Eligible for Veterans Educational Benefits, Their Spouses and Children who Move to Texas

Program Purpose

To provide an immediate waiver of nonresident tuition to the veteran, spouse and dependent children who move to Texas.

NOTE: This webpage is intended to provide basic information for the public by highlighting requirements that appear in the Texas Education Code (TEC) and Texas Administrative Code (TAC). When reviewing eligibility requirements this exemption program, you should always refer to the relevant statutes and rules. The information on this webpage is to be used solely as a resource and does not override the statute or rules for this exemption program. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, legal advice.

Eligibility Requirements

An individual who:

·       Is enrolled in a Texas public college or university for any term or semester; and

·       Has met the following requirements:

o   filed with the institution at which the person registers a letter of intent to establish residence in Texas, and


o   resides in this state while enrolled in the institution, and


o   the person:

1)  is eligible for benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (38 U.S.C. Section 3301 et seq.) or any other federal law authorizing educational benefits for veterans; or


2)  is the spouse of a person described in paragraph (1); or


3)  is a child (biological child, step-child, adopted child or claimed as a dependent by the veteran for federal income tax purposes in the previous or current year) of a person described in paragraph (1).  The child must be 25 years of age or younger on the first day of the semester or other academic term for which the person is registering. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board provides in its rules provisions for additional time to use the benefit for a child who is unable to use the benefit before reaching this age because of a severe illness or debilitating condition.

Eligible Institutions

This waiver program is limited to use at Texas public colleges and universities.

Award Amount

This program permits nonresident students to pay tuition and fees at the resident rate.

Application Process

The Office of the Registrar at each college normally processes waivers.  If they do not process waivers, they should be able to refer you to the proper office on campus.  The letter of intent is required at the time the student uses his/her first waiver.  The institution should keep it on file.  If continuation waivers are awarded, the veteran's continued eligibility for federal veterans' benefits should be monitored, as should the age of the child, if the student is the child of the vet.

Additional Information

  • Generally, student eligibility for a waiver must be established prior to or at the time of enrollment.  Contact your college for additional information.

  • To read more about this program check out:

    Texas Education Code 54.241(k)

  • Contact Us!

Copyright © 2024 Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. All Rights Reserved

Site Policies | Site Map | Contact


Apply Texas

I am ready to start my college journey, now what? ApplyTexas is a one-stop shop for applying to a public university or community college in Texas. Start now at Help us understand how applicants can be better supported throughout the application process by taking this survey. You can find information about funding your education here: College for All Texans Funding Your Education.