PLEASE REMEMBER: The information on this page is general. Specific information or advice on residency is available from the residency determination official at the college you're planning to attend.
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rule 21.25 requires each student applying to enroll at an institution to respond to a set of core residency questions for the purpose of determining the student's eligibility for classification as a resident.
As a student at a Texas college or university, you’ll be classified as either a Texas resident or non-resident. Your residency status affects your eligibility for:
- Resident tuition at a Texas public college or university; and
- Financial aid at a Texas college or university.
Information and Resources
- Download the Core Residency Questions.
- Find your institution to contact the residency determination official at Texas Institutions of Higher Education Directory.
- You can read and review the residency rules at Residency Rules (Texas Administrative Code Rule §21.24).
- If you have a question related to residency you would like to direct to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, fill out and submit Contact Us form online. Select Residency Information for the Contact Reason.